30th December 2019
Free Cake Tutorial: How to Make a Dinosaur Topper
We hope you all had a lovely Christmas, and as our post Christmas and Happy New Year gift to you we have a new free quick tip!
This tutorial is all about Dinosaurs, not quite the big scary ones from a few million years ago but this sweet little blue one which would look perfect on a Dinosaur themed cake.
This free tutorial from Pretty Witty Cakes will teach you how to make this topper which can be used on celebration cakes and cupcakes. It is really simple but looks so effective, so have a go!
Top Tips for making this Dinosaur Topper:
- The legs need to be made first so they can be left to dry and then are strong enough to support the body.
- You need about 5g of paste for each leg.
- Start with a ball and then roll into a sausage shape. Push the legs down to flatten the base a little and allow them to stand up.
- You can create "toes" using a piping tip and gently pressing it into the paste.
- Use the glue to stick them together, making sure they're all the same height.
- Use spaghetti to build the body onto the legs.
- You will need 50g of paste for the body, tail and neck.
- Use your fingers and thumb to pull the paste up and create the neck shape.
- Mark where the spaghetti is on the body and then make holes so the body can sit easily on to the legs.
- Use 15g of the paste for the head, this may vary depending on the size of your neck and body.
- Use another piece of spaghetti to stick the head to the body.
- The end of a piping nozzle works well to make a scale effect.
Products Used for this Dinosaur Topper:
Here are some really cool dinosaur themed cakes, perfect for any kids party or dinosaur enthusiast!
Take inspiration from these and make your own toppers. You could change the colour of your sugar paste to give a different feel and have a go at making your own dinosaur themed cake.
This is ideal for any dinosaur and volcano lover and your own little topper like the one above would look perfect on this cake. Why not have a go at something similar?
This is a really sweet cake, perfect for a little ones birthday. Baby dinosaurs really do look cute topping this cake.
This tiered piece really pulls out all the stops. The colours are just lovely and would are ideal for a child's birthday celebration or party. The detail is amazing and we think our little topper would look perfect on the top.
Our Final Words:
These Dinosaur cakes really are sweet and would look perfect with this dinosaur topper, so have a go! they're really simple to make but would look so lovely at a birthday party.
You could make smaller versions for cupcakes and keep it as it is for larger cakes, we're sure dinosaur enthusiasts will love it!
And if you loved this, then why not have a look at our other animal toppers and tutorials, we have so many over at Pretty Witty Academy so go and have a look!
We hope you have a very Happy New Year!
Over on the Pretty Witty Academy site we have nearly 1000 cake tutorials showing you everything from how to cover a cake with sugarpaste to fully advanced gravity defying cakes. We also have a huge business section for those wanting to run a cake business.
Why not check out some of these amazing cake tutorials. See more at Pretty Witty Academy.
Some links in the Pretty Witty Cakes Blog will be affiliate links. Affiliate links are links where we can earn commission by advertising and linking to other sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases which helps ensure that we can keep producing free tutorials for you.