18th November 2019
Free Tutorial: How to Pipe a Gold Bollywood Cake
In this tutorial from Pretty Witty Cakes you will learn how to pipe royal icing gold swirls onto a cake. This is a great technique for Bollywood themed cakes and colourful celebration cakes.
It works really well on both mini cakes and big cakes alike! The mini cakes are so cute and the big cakes really make a statement, perfect for a wedding or big celebration!
Learn how to pipe onto your cakes using this simple technique and really impress your friends and family with your perfect piping.
You can also apply the the technique from this tutorial to other shapes and styles, it doesn't all have to be swirls. You could do a swag design or similar.
This technique also works well on the top of cupcakes so if you're doing a cake display table you can tie them all together nicely with some beautiful gold piping.
Top Tips for Gold Piping:
- This technique can be used on big cakes and cupcakes as well!
- Use Royal Icing to pipe onto your cake as it sets really well and will hold it's shape.
- Colour the icing a slightly dirty yellow colour, this is because once the icing is dry you can use lustre dust to turn your piping gold.
- Have a gap of only one or two mm between your piping nozzle and the cake and try keep your hand nice and steady.
- Start from the centre and work outwards with the swirls.
- You can finish off your swirls with some tear drop shapes.
- Leave it for 5 or 10 minuted to dry before adding your lustre dust.
- Mix the gold dust with some confectioners alcohol to make a liquid that you can paint with.
- You will have to keep mixing it as the sediment tends to drop to the bottom of your palette.
- Gently drag the gold over the top of the piping so you don't get gold all over the cake.
- The alcohol in the lustre dust will seep round the corners so there shouldn't be too much yellow on show.
- You can finish this mini cake off with a sugar flower to really make it pop.
Products Used for this Mini Cake:
Which Gold Should I Use?
Here at Pretty Witty Cakes we have another tutorial for you all about which Gold's to use on your bakes! This will help you to choose the perfect shade and sparkle to create your Bollywood inspired design. Have a look here.
This gold piping is really stunning and an effect we can't get enough of! Have a look at some of these henna and Bollywood inspired cakes that have really inspired us to keep going with perfecting our piping. They look so cool and will really take centre stage at any occasion!
The Artistic Whisk is based in Florida and really focus on their ingredients as well as designs.
This cake is truly something to be proud of. with the ombre effects of the blue and purple combined with the intricate Henna style piping - we're really impressed. This cake looks perfect for an Indian wedding and would put a smile on anyones face.
Well this is quite the masterpiece. It 's so bold and really stands out as an amazing creation. Complete with sugar roses, Henna design and pink and turquoise colour scheme, this is really set to impress.
A two tiered cake complete with Henna style piping and sugar flowers, made by the very talented Prachi Dhabal Deb from Cake Decor India - Royal Icing Art. She is a multi award winning cake artist who specialises in Royal Icing.
What and amazing job she's done of that piping! It is so detailed and intricate and we love the bold design on this two tiered cake. The beautifully frilled sugar flowers on this cake really bring it together, perfect for any celebration.
We love the bright colours in this cake, paired with the amazing gold Henna design. It looks perfect for a birthday celebration and will really wow.
Now a seasoned cake artist, she is based in Vancouver and makes some beautiful cakes.
This cake is really something, the rich purple with the intricate piping, what's not to love?! She's really nailed the gold piping and the contrast of the colours is just beautiful.
Our Final Words:
We love these Bollywood cake designs and hope you feel inspired to have a go at your own! If you do, then do come over to the Pretty Witty Cakes Facebook group and show us your creations.
And if you loved this then, why not head on over to Pretty Witty Academy where you can learn all about how to make mini cakes, perfect for this gold Bollywood piping design. We also have loads of other tutorials to turn you into a real cake expert!
Over on the Pretty Witty Academy site we have nearly 1000 cake tutorials showing you everything from how to cover a cake with sugar paste to fully advanced gravity defying cakes. We also have a huge business section for those wanting to run a cake business.
Why not check out some of these amazing cake tutorials. See more at Pretty Witty Academy.
Some links in the Pretty Witty Cakes Blog will be affiliate links. Affiliate links are links where we can earn commission by advertising and linking to other sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases which helps ensure that we can keep producing free tutorials for you.